HDL stands for High-Density Lipoproteins, which are known as the “good cholesterol” because they remove Low-Density Lipoproteins (LDLs) and macrophages from the blood and artery walls, preventing a buildup of “plaque”. This “plaque” can restrict blood flow in arteries, leading to high blood pressure, or completely close off smaller blood vessels, leading to heart attacks and strokes. They are also anti-inflammatory, which increases healthy arterial blood flow and it actively prevents particles from sticking to the artery walls. Many studies and clinical trials show that increasing HDL levels can help reduce risk of heart attack, stroke, and peripheral artery disease1,2.
LDLs and HDLs are both found in egg yolk, which is why egg yolks are thought to be “high in cholesterol”. Ecovatec’s proprietary processes process this egg yolk to remove the “bad cholesterol” (LDLs) and leave in the good HDLs.
EcovaPure™ HDLp is a powder product containing HDL molecules with some of the proteins hydrolyzed to remove phosvitin (which isn’t good for you in its full protein form). Nutritionally, it contains healthy fats (omega 3, 6, and 9), phospholipids, and proteins.
HDLp also meets consumer preferences for a non-GMO product which is extracted without the use of any harsh solvents, high temperatures, or high pressures that would denature the product.
Effects of Consuming HDL:
- Many studies and clinical trials show that increasing HDL levels can help reduce risk of heart attack, stroke, and peripheral artery disease.
- Dietary supplementation of pure HDL has been shown to increase blood HDL in animal studies.
- Eating whole eggs has also been shown to increase HDL in the blood (compared to egg white) in human studies. This is thought to be because of the HDL in the egg. These studies also found that eating the HDL in eggs decreases insulin in the blood, supporting the health of individuals with type II diabetes.
- High HDL levels in the blood encourages the body to make even more HDL molecules.
- HDL acts as an anti-inflammatory for the blood vessels, keeping them healthy and preventing the narrowing that leads to high blood pressure.
- Have been shown in rabbit studies to decrease artery plaque
- HDL consumed through egg yolks has been shown to improve the circulatory system and support those with cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis
- HDL shows anti-adhesive properties, preventing the growth of E. coli and Salmonella in the blood vessels.
Functional Foods and Sports Nutrition:
- HDL can be added to health foods and protein powders to improve the nutrition profile and give additional health benefits to the foods. Its powder form makes it easy to introduce into foods.