EM – Eggshell Membrane
Ecovatec’s eggshell membrane powder is extracted from eggshell provided by Canadian egg producers. It contains high amounts of collagen and glycosaminoglycans which are known to promote healthy joints and reduce arthritic pain when ingested as a supplement.
It can also be used in cosmetics where the collagen improves the appearance of skin.
Eggshell membrane has been shown to improve the conditions of people with osteoarthritis and gastrointestinal disorders. It also has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, wound-healing, and wrinkle fighting properties.
Facts about eggshell membrane:
- Chicken eggshell is composed of a shell and 2 membranes, one attached to the shell and the other located on the egg white.
- The eggshell membrane contains collagen (type I, V, and X), glycosaminoglycans, egg white proteins, and eggshell matrix proteins.
- Collagen is the main structural protein in the connective tissue in humans and is mostly found in tendons, ligaments, and skin. It is also known as a skin conditioning agent.
- Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) are used in the body as a lubricant as they tend to attract water; they have many different classes and functions.
- The main GAG found in eggshell membrane is Hyaluronic Acid (HA) which is found in the fluid that surrounds joints, cartilage, and the tissues of the eyes and skin.
- In supplement form, helps to relieve joint pain and stiffness associated with osteoarthritis.
- May treat periodontal diseases
- Supports gastrointestinal function
- Fibers from eggshell membrane can be spun to adhere to skin tissue, with potentials to be used as a wound dressing to promote tissue healing.
- Can be used in creams or powder makeups due to the glycosaminoglycans and collagen presence. Is less allergenic than traditional ingredients and can prevent formation of wrinkles.